In the event of a power outage during extreme winter weather, these safety tips may come in handy:
Prepare an emergency kit with:
– Nonperishable food
– Battery-operated radio
– Flashlights and fresh batteries
– First-aid kit, including prescription medicines
Keep your cell phone fully charged.
Do NOT use your stove for heat.
If your power goes out, use these items as heat sources:
– Extra blankets, sleeping bags or warm winter coats, gloves and hats
– A wood-burning fireplace (be sure to keep a supply of dry firewood).
Never use a charcoal grill or portable gas camp stove inside your home. Both of these items produce deadly fumes.
Never leave lit candles unattended.
Portable generator safety
Never use an electric generator inside your home or garage, or near the air intake of your home because of the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Do not use the generator or appliances if they are wet.
Do not store gasoline indoors where the fumes could ignite.
Use individual heavy-duty, outdoor-rated cords if you plug appliances into the generator.
Portable space heaters
Use electric space heaters with automatic shut-off switches and non-glowing elements.
Never place a space heater on top of your furniture.
Never use a space heater near water.
Never leave children or pets unattended near a space heater.
Keep your space heater at least three feet away from furniture and drapes.
You should always keep a chemical fire extinguisher on hand for emergencies.
Be sure to check the batteries in your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors at least twice a year. Replace the batteries when necessary.